Veggie Packed Vegan Cheese Sauce
This will 100% be a new weekly staple for you. If you have kids, this may be a bi-weekly staple! This cheese sauce is so delicious and nutritious....we put it on EVERYTHING!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 1-2 garlic cloves peeled, pressed and minced
- 1/2 small onion roughly chopped
- 3 large potatoes We use russet or yukon. Scrub and chop. Peel if you wish.
- 3 large carrots Peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large zucchini roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds soaked overnight and rinsed/drained
- 6 tbsp nutritional yeast Add more as needed
- 2 tbsp lemon juice Fresh squeezed
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar I am a white wine vinegar fan
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp mustard (brown or yellow) You can also try dijon. I find that each mustard gives this a different (yummy!) taste.
- Dash Turmeric Powder
If you forgot to soak the sunflower seeds, no worries. Just pour some boiling water over the seeds and let sit while the veggies cook. Rinse and drain when done.
Peel the carrots. Roughly chop the potatoes, carrots and zucchini. Add to a large pot of water and boil until fork tender. This should take about 10 minutes.
From here, carefully remove the veggies and place into a high speed blender with the rest of the ingredients. Blend until smooth.
Taste test and adjust. Sometimes I will add in some more vinegar, sea salt or even lemon juice. It all depends on what your taste buds are craving! I rarely need more nutritional yeast but again, it's all up to you.
Store this sauce in a large mason jar in the refrigerator for up to 6 days. Use on everything! I love to serve this with homemade french frieds, nachos, as a soup with some sourdough bread, over some toast or even with a load of veggies for dipping.
**Add any veggies you like. Broccoli does beautifully in this recipe!!
***Can substitute sunflower seeds for silken tofu, cashew nuts or omit.
***Add more turmeric for more yellow color.
Calories: 137kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 262mg | Potassium: 749mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 3673IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 4mg