Must-Try Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
As promised, we are going into detail on many of the amazingly delicious recipes found on our FREE Annual WonderMamas Thanksgiving Menu Meal Plan! If you have yet to download the plan, just click here 🙂
Today we are chatting all about the must-try vegan scalloped potatoes. Our family is a tad bit addicted to potatoes and cheese….anyone else?! If yes, get ready to be OBSESSED with this recipe! I make this one weekly and just cannot get enough.
The Homemade Vegan Parmesan Cheese is the Icing on the Cake!
The key to this recipe is to ensure you make enough of the sauce to completely cover the sliced potatoes. Be sure that you do not have any potatoes poking out of the top. If you must, just make some extra sauce to ensure each tater is drenched in the creamy goodness.
Once fully covered, pour the vegan parmesan cheese all over. You can also add the vegan parmesan cheese directly to the sauce and blend but I really enjoy the crunchy cheese on top of my scalloped potatoes…it just takes this recipe over the edge. Plus…it looks gorgeous!
When slicing the potatoes, try your best to make them 1/8 inch thick. No need to be perfect, but the more uniform the potatoes are, the better this recipe will turn out. Don’t forget that you can always use your food processor to slice perfectly every single time! I swear…I hardly ever slice and dice by hand anymore. It’s all about the food processor, mama!!
Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp arrow root powder or cornstarch
- 3 tbsp vegan butter melted
- 1.5 cups non-dairy milk unsweetened
- 1/2 cup cashews soaked and drained
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- dash black pepper
- 6 large potatoes peeled and sliced thin
Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- The night before, add the cashews to a glass of water to soak overnight. If you happen to forget, simply sit the cashews in boiling water for 30 minutes before blending.
- Preheat oven to 350F/175C.
- Add all of the vegan paremsan cheese ingredients to a blender/food processor and break down to a fine powder. Set aside.
- Add the diced onion and garlic to a skillet and saute in 1/4 cup water for 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add all of the sauce ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Taste test and adjust. Just remember one thing: The vegan paremsan is added at the end so the sauce will not taste so much cheesy as simply creamy.
- Now begin peeling and slicing the potatoes. Slice the potatoes into 1/8 inch slices. Once finished, begin layering onto a large baking dish.
- After the first layer has been laid, pour the sauce over. Add the next layer and pour again. If you have enough potatoes for a third layer, go right ahead! Just be sure the sauce covers the potato slices compeletely. If you begin to run out of sauce, add a bit more non-dairy milk to the blender with the remaining sauce to make just a bit more.
- Once the potatoes are fully covered, sprinkle the vegan parmesan cheese all over the top. Add as much as you like!
- Bake for 30 minutes covered and then 30 minutes uncovered. I cover my dish with a silicone baking mat but you can also use parchment paper or the traditional aluminum foil.